Tuesday, November 20, 2012

my love by sia

I had quite a bit of trouble picking one song for this assignment. There were so many songs that came to mind from various artiest from different genres and relaying different messages about love, courtship, and heartbreak.but this one makes me emotional every time so I picked one of my favorite songs My Love by Sia. 
to me this song is about the moment that you give your heart to your lover and then the reciprocation. this song represents ideal love, where both people give and take equally and are able to become better people because of the ways that the lover is able to complement them. This song is also about the surrender of ones self for a lover. the song starts out and also ends with the same lyrics:
MY love
leave yourself behind
beat inside me 
leave you blind 
the line leave your self behind relates to the idea that, when in love you become one with your lover and are no longer are separate entity. When you leave yourself behind you are engulfed by love and are free from any other baggage, all that matter is the here and the now. beat inside me makes reference to the heart. the heart is an organ that is essential to life, so this lyric is meant to convey that this love is such that you cant live without , nor would you want to. leave you blind relates to the idea of rose colored glasses, remain blind to the reality of the other person and the reality of life outside of them.  this song is also about loss; Tonight you will sleep for good... Now I am strong , You gave all you had and now I am home. Throughout our discussion we talked about how death is predominant in love stories because once one obtains desire the only thing left to keep this alive ironically, is death. I think the same idea can be applied here.
But above all this song is beautiful musically, it touches my heart every time I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment